227-0575-00L  Advanced Topics in Communication Networks

SemesterAutumn Semester 2021
LecturersL. Vanbever
Periodicityyearly recurring course
Language of instructionEnglish



Courses

NumberTitleHoursLecturers
227-0575-00 VAdvanced Topics in Communication Networks2 hrs
Tue14:15-16:00ML E 12 »
L. Vanbever
227-0575-00 UAdvanced Topics in Communication Networks2 hrs
Tue16:15-18:00ML E 12 »
L. Vanbever

Catalogue data

AbstractThis course covers advanced topics and technologies in computer networks, both theoretically and practically. It is offered each Fall semester, with rotating topics. Repetition for credit is possible with consent of the instructor. In the Fall 2021, the course will cover advanced topics in Internet routing and forwarding.
ObjectiveThe goals of this course is to provide students with a deeper understanding of the existing and upcoming Internet routing and forwarding technologies used in large-scale computer networks such as Internet Service Providers (e.g., Swisscom or Deutsche Telekom), Content Delivery Networks (e.g., Netflix) and Data Centers (e.g., Google). Besides covering the fundamentals, the course will be “hands-on” and will enable students to play with the technologies in realistic network environments, and even implement some of them on their own during labs and a final group project.
ContentThe course will cover advanced topics in Internet routing and forwarding such as:

- Tunneling
- Hierarchical routing
- Traffic Engineering and Load Balancing
- Virtual Private Networks
- Quality of Service/Queuing/Scheduling
- Fast Convergence
- Network virtualization
- Network programmability (OpenFlow, P4)
- Network measurements

The course will be divided in two main blocks. The first block (~8 weeks) will interleave classical lectures with practical exercises and labs. The second block (~6 weeks) will consist of a practical project which will be performed in small groups (~3 students). During the second block, lecture slots will be replaced by feedback sessions where students will be able to ask questions and get feedback about their project. The last week of the semester will be dedicated to student presentations and demonstrations.
Lecture notesLecture notes and material will be made available before each course on the course website.
LiteratureRelevant references will be made available through the course website.
Prerequisites / NoticePrerequisites: Communication Networks (227-0120-00L) or equivalents / good programming skills (in any language) are expected as both the exercices and the final project will involve coding.
CompetenciesCompetencies
Subject-specific CompetenciesConcepts and Theoriesassessed
Techniques and Technologiesassessed
Method-specific CompetenciesAnalytical Competenciesassessed
Decision-makingassessed
Problem-solvingassessed
Project Managementassessed
Social CompetenciesCommunicationassessed
Cooperation and Teamworkassessed
Personal CompetenciesAdaptability and Flexibilityassessed
Creative Thinkingassessed
Critical Thinkingassessed

Performance assessment

Performance assessment information (valid until the course unit is held again)
Performance assessment as a semester course
ECTS credits6 credits
ExaminersL. Vanbever
Typesession examination
Language of examinationEnglish
RepetitionThe performance assessment is offered every session. Repetition possible without re-enrolling for the course unit.
Mode of examinationwritten 120 minutes
Additional information on mode of examination60% of the final grade will be based on the final (written) exam, while the remaining 40% will be based on one graded group project (as a continuous performance assessment task). The project will start around week 8. Students repeating the course must decide at the beginning of the semester if they want to keep their previous project grade and inform the instructor accordingly.
Written aidsNone
This information can be updated until the beginning of the semester; information on the examination timetable is binding.

Learning materials

 
Main linkCourse Website
Only public learning materials are listed.

Groups

No information on groups available.

Restrictions

There are no additional restrictions for the registration.

Offered in

ProgrammeSectionType
Cyber Security MasterElectivesWInformation
Data Science MasterInterdisciplinary ElectivesWInformation
Electrical Engineering and Information Technology MasterAdvanced Core CoursesWInformation
Electrical Engineering and Information Technology MasterCore SubjectsWInformation
Computer Science MasterFocus Elective Courses General StudiesWInformation
Computer Science MasterMinor in NetworkingWInformation