327-2140-00L Focused Ion Beam and Applications
|Semester||Spring Semester 2021|
|Lecturers||P. Zeng, A. G. Bittermann, S. Gerstl, L. Grafulha Morales, J. Reuteler|
|Periodicity||every semester recurring course|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Comment||Number of participants limited to 6. PhD students will be asked for a fee. https://scopem.ethz.ch/education/MTP.html|
Registration form: (Link)
|Abstract||The introductory course on Focused Ion Beam (FIB) provides theoretical and hands-on learning for new operators, utilizing lectures, demonstrations and hands-on sessions.|
|Objective||- Set-up, align and operate a FIB-SEM successfully and safely.|
- Accomplish operation tasks and optimize microscope performances.
- Perform sample preparation (TEM lamella, APT probe…) using FIB-SEM.
- Perform other FIB techniques, such as characterization
- At the end of the course, students will know how to set-up FIB-SEM, how to prepare TEM lamella/APT probe and how to utilize FIB techniques.
|Content||This course provides FIB techniques to students with previous SEM experience. |
- Overview of FIB theory, instrumentation, operation and applications.
- Introduction and discussion on FIB and instrumentation.
- Lectures on FIB theory.
- Lectures on FIB applications.
- Practicals on FIB-SEM set-up, cross-beam alignment.
- Practicals on site-specific cross-section and TEM lamellar preparation.
- Lecture and demonstration on FIB automation.
|Literature||- Detailed course manual. |
- Giannuzzi, Stevie: Introduction to focused ion beams instrumentation, theory, techniques, and practice, Springer, 2005.
- Orloff, Utlaut, Swanson: High resolution focused ion beams: FIB and its applications, Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, 2003.
|Prerequisites / Notice||The students should fulfil one or more of these prerequisites:|
- Prior attendance to the ScopeM Microscopy Training SEM I: Introduction to SEM (327-2125-00L).
- Prior SEM experience.