227-1101-00L How to Write Scientific Texts
|jedes Semester wiederkehrende Veranstaltung
|Strongly recommended prerequisite for Semester Projects, Bachelor's, and Master Theses at D-ITET (MSc BME, BSc/MSc EEIT, MSc EST and MSc QE).
|The four hour lecture covers the basics of writing and presenting of scientific work. The focus is on the structure and the main elements of a scientific text rather than the language. Citation rules, good practice of scientific writing and an overview on software tools are part of the training.
|- Knowledge on structure and content of scientific texts and presentations
- Stimulation of a discussion on how to write a scientific text versus an interesting novel
- Discussion of the practice of proper citing and critical reflection on plagiarism
|* Topic 1: Structure of Scientific Texts (title, author list, abstract, state-of-the-art, "in this paper" paragraph, scientific part, summary, equations, figures)
* Topic 2: Structure of Scientific Presentations
* Topic 3: Citation Rules and Citation Software
* Topic 4: Guidelines for Research Integrity
The lecture will be given in two parts on two afternoons. Some exercises will be built into the lecture.
|ETH "Citation Etiquette", see Link.
ETH "Guidelines for Research Integrity", see Link
|Voraussetzungen / Besonderes
|Students should be writing either a bachelor/semester/master thesis or a scientific publication in the immediate future.