227-0575-00L  Advanced Topics in Communication Networks (Autumn 2020)

SemesterHerbstsemester 2020
DozierendeL. Vanbever
Periodizitätjährlich wiederkehrende Veranstaltung
LehrspracheEnglisch



Lehrveranstaltungen

NummerTitelUmfangDozierende
227-0575-00 VAdvanced Topics in Communication Networks (Autumn 2020)2 Std.
Di14:00-16:00ON LI NE »
L. Vanbever
227-0575-00 UAdvanced Topics in Communication Networks (Autumn 2020)2 Std.
Di16:00-18:00ON LI NE »
L. Vanbever

Katalogdaten

KurzbeschreibungThis course covers advanced topics and technologies in computer networks, both theoretically and practically. It is offered each Fall semester, with rotating topics. Repetition for credit is possible with consent of the instructor. In the Fall 2020, the course will cover advanced topics in Internet routing and forwarding.
LernzielThe goals of this course is to provide students with a deeper understanding of the existing and upcoming Internet routing and forwarding technologies used in large-scale computer networks such as Internet Service Providers (e.g., Swisscom or Deutsche Telekom), Content Delivery Networks (e.g., Netflix) and Data Centers (e.g., Google). Besides covering the fundamentals, the course will be “hands-on” and will enable students to play with the technologies in realistic network environments, and even implement some of them on their own during labs and a final group project.
InhaltThe course will cover advanced topics in Internet routing and forwarding such as:

- Tunneling
- Hierarchical routing
- Traffic Engineering and Load Balancing
- Virtual Private Networks
- Quality of Service/Queuing/Scheduling
- IP Multicast
- Fast Convergence
- Network virtualization
- Network programmability (OpenFlow, P4)
- Network measurements

The course will be divided in two main blocks. The first block (~10 weeks) will interleave classical lectures with practical exercises and labs. The second block (~4 weeks) will consist of a practical project which will be performed in small groups (~3 students). During the second block, lecture slots will be replaced by feedback sessions where students will be able to ask questions and get feedback about their project. The last week of the semester will be dedicated to student presentations and demonstrations.
SkriptLecture notes and material will be made available before each course on the course website.
LiteraturRelevant references will be made available through the course website.
Voraussetzungen / BesonderesPrerequisites: Communication Networks (227-0120-00L) or equivalents / good programming skills (in any language) are expected as both the exercices and the final project will involve coding.

Leistungskontrolle

Information zur Leistungskontrolle (gültig bis die Lerneinheit neu gelesen wird)
Leistungskontrolle als Semesterkurs
ECTS Kreditpunkte6 KP
PrüfendeL. Vanbever
FormSessionsprüfung
PrüfungsspracheEnglisch
RepetitionDie Leistungskontrolle wird in jeder Session angeboten. Die Repetition ist ohne erneute Belegung der Lerneinheit möglich.
Prüfungsmodusschriftlich 150 Minuten
Zusatzinformation zum Prüfungsmodus70% of the final grade will be based on the final (written) exam, while the remaining 30% will be based on one graded group project (as a continuous performance assessment task). The project will start around week 10. Students repeating the course must decide at the beginning of the semester if they want to keep their previous project grade and inform the instructor accordingly.
Hilfsmittel schriftlichKeine
Diese Angaben können noch zu Semesterbeginn aktualisiert werden; verbindlich sind die Angaben auf dem Prüfungsplan.

Lernmaterialien

 
HauptlinkCourse Website
Es werden nur die öffentlichen Lernmaterialien aufgeführt.

Gruppen

Keine Informationen zu Gruppen vorhanden.

Einschränkungen

Keine zusätzlichen Belegungseinschränkungen vorhanden.

Angeboten in

StudiengangBereichTyp
Cyber Security MasterWahlfächerWInformation
Data Science MasterInterdisziplinäre WahlfächerWInformation
Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnologie MasterAdvanced Core CoursesWInformation
Elektrotechnik und Informationstechnologie MasterKernfächerWInformation
Informatik MasterWahlfächer der Vertiefung in Information SecurityWInformation
Informatik MasterWahlfächer der Vertiefung General StudiesWInformation
Informatik MasterErgänzung in NetworkingWInformation