651-4271-00L Data Analysis and Visualisation with Matlab in Earth Sciences
|Autumn Semester 2019
|S. Wiemer, G. De Souza
|yearly recurring course
|Language of instruction
|Information for D-INFK students: the course is only for 3rd semester BSc students.
|This lecture and the corresponding exercises provide the students with an introduction to the concepts and tools of scientific data analysis. Based on current questions in the Earth Sciences, the students solve problems of increasing complexity both in small groups and singly using the software package MATLAB. Students also learn how to effectively visualise different kinds of datasets.
|The following concepts are introduced in the course:
- Working with matrices and arrays
- Programming and development of algorithms
- Effective data analysis and visualisation in 2D and 3D
- Learning to effectively use animations
- Statistical description of a dataset
- Regression analysis
- Testing hypotheses