363-0311-00L Psychological Aspects of Risk Management and Technology
|Autumn Semester 2019
|G. Grote, N. Bienefeld-Seall, R. Schneider, M. Zumbühl
|yearly recurring course
|Language of instruction
|Number of participants limited to 65.
|Using uncertainty management by organizations and individuals as conceptual framework, risk management and risk implications of new technologies are treated. Three components of risk management (risk identification/evaluation, risk mitigation, risk communication) and underlying psychological and organizational processes are discussed, using company case studies to promote in-depth understanding.
|- understand basic components of risk management in organizations
- know and apply methods for risk identification/evaluation, risk mitigation, risk communication
- know psychological foundations of risk perception, decision-making under risk, and risk communication
- know organizational principles for managing uncertainty
- apply theoretical foundations to applied issues such as safety management, regulatory activities, and technology design and implementation in different domains (e.g. transport systems, IT, insurance)
|The syllabus includes the following topics:
Elements of risk management
- risk identification and evaluation
- risk mitigation
- risk communication
Psychological and organizational concepts relevant in risk management
- decision-making under uncertainty
- risk perception
- resilient organizational processes for managing uncertainty
Case studies on different elements of risk management (e.g., rule making, training, managing project risks, automation)
Group projects related to company case studies
|There is no scirpt, but slides will be made available before the lectures.
|There are texts for each of the course topics made available before the lectures.
|Prerequisites / Notice
|The course is restricted to 40 participants who will work closely with the lecturers on case studies prepared by the lecturers on topics relevant in their own companies (SWICA, SWISS, Credit Suisse).