363-0552-00L Economic Growth and Resource Use
|Semester||Spring Semester 2019|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Abstract||The lecture deals with the economics of natural resources and their effect on economic development.|
|Objective||Students will be able to|
• Discuss the factors, e.g. institutions, geography, resource availability, that have contributed to economic growth in different countries.
• Describe country-specific growth experiences applying economic modelling.
• Explain the role of non-renewable resources and climate change in sustainable development.
• Interpret the effects of existing policies on economic growth and development through relevant economic models.
|Content||The course provides fundamental knowledge on the economics of natural resources and their connection to economic growth and sustainable development. Students will be given a historical overview of the main issues surrounding natural resources and economic development; from the Malthusian stagnation of income per capita to the contemporary problem of climate change. Topics covered:|
i) Fundamentals on the economics of natural resources
ii) Land and economic growth in the long-run
iii) Non-renewable resources and growth
iv) Resource curse and Dutch disease
v) Climate change and economic growth
There will be 3 exercise sessions accounting for 25% of the final grade; the rest 75% will be determined by a written exam.
|Lecture notes||Lecture Notes of the course will be sent by email to officially subscribed students.|
|Literature||The main reference of the course is the set of lecture notes; students will also be encouraged to read some influential academic articles dealing with the issues under study.|
|Prerequisites / Notice||Elementary knowledge of calculus (differentiation - integration) is considered as a prerequisite. Elementary knowledge of economic theory is a plus but not a prerequisite.|