Noëlle Klein: Catalogue data in Autumn Semester 2021
|Dr. Noëlle Klein
Professur Landschafts- und Umw.pl.
ETH Zürich, HIL H 51.1
|Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering
|Experimental and Computer Laboratory I (Year Course)
|D. Braun, F. Evers, M. Floriancic, N. Klein, P. U. Lehmann Grunder, B. Lüthi, S. Pfister, F. Rüsch, D. A. Silva Conde, D. F. Vetsch, L. von Känel
|In the Experimental and Computer Laboratory students are introduced to research and good scientific practice. Experiments are conducted in different disciplines of environmental engineering. Data collected during experiments are compared to the corresponding numeric simulations. The results are documented in reports or presentations.
|The student will learn the following skills: basic scientific work, planning and conducting scientific experiments, uncertainty estimations of measurements, applied numerical simulations, modern sensor technology, writing reports.
|The Experimental and Computer Laboratory is building on courses in the corresponding modules. Material from these courses is a prerequisite or co-requisite (as specified below) for participating in the Experimental and Computer Laboratory (MODULE: Project in the Experimental and Computer Laboratory):
- WatInfra: Water Network Management
- UWM: SysUWM + ProcUWM: Operation of Lab-WWTP
- AIR: Air Quality Measurements
- WasteBio: Anaerobic Digestion
- WasteRec: Plastic Recycling
- ESD: Environmental Assessment
- GROUND: Groundwater Field Course Kappelen
- WRM: Modelling Optimal Water Allocation
- FLOW: 1D Open Channel Flow Modelling
- LAND: Landscape Planning and Environmental Systems
- RIVER: Discharge Measurements
- HydEngr: Hydraulic Experiments
- RemSens: Earth Observation and Landscape Planning
- SOIL: Soil and Environmental Measurements Lab
|Written material will be available.
|Landscape Planning and Environmental Systems (GIS Exercises)
|A. Grêt-Regamey, C. Brouillet, N. Klein
|The course content of the lecture Landscape Planning and Environmental Systems (103-0347-00 V) will be illustrated in practical GIS exercises (e.g. habitat modelling, land use change, ecosystem services, connectivity).
|- Practical application of theory from the lectures
- Quantitative assessment and evaluation of landscape characteristics
- Learning useful applications of GIS for landscape planning
- Developing landscape planning measures for practical case studies
|- Applications of GIS in landscape planning
- Landscape analysis
- Landscape structural metrics
- Modelling habitats and land use change
- Calculating urban ecosystem services
- Ecological connectivity
|A script and presentation slides for each exercise will be provided on Moodle.
|Will be named in the lecture.
|Prerequisites / Notice
|Basic GIS skills are strongly recommended.
|Supplementary Course to Project LAND within Experimental and Computer Lab. I
Only for Environmental Sciences MSc.
This is a supplementary course for students in the Laboratory Courses in Environmental Engineering who wish to complete all the exercises in Landscape planning and environmental system, as in the 3CP course 103-0347-01L Landscape Planning and Environmental Systems (GIS Exercises).
|D. Braun, N. Klein
|Supplement course to Project LAND in the Experimental and Computer Lab.
Methods for the identification and measurement of landscape structure, changes, functions and services, as well as measures and implementation of landscape planning are deepened.