Felix Beuschlein: Catalogue data in Autumn Semester 2021
|Name||Prof. Dr. Felix Beuschlein|
Endokrinologie und Diabetologie
|Department||Health Sciences and Technology|
|377-0301-03L||Endocrinology, Metabolism |
Only for Human Medicine BSc
|5 credits||5V||M. Stoffel, F. Beuschlein, A. Hall, C. Wolfrum|
|Abstract||Discussion of normal structure and function of the endocrine systems, their interaction with the autonomic nervous system and their role in metabolism. In addition, pathophysiological and clinical aspects, diagnostics and therapeutic concepts of the most important endocrine diseases and related metabolic disorders as well as respective preventive measures are adressed.|
|Objective||Upon successful completion of this module, students should:|
- be able to explain the systematics of the endocrine system;
- know the structure and function of the hypothalamus, pituitary gland, adrenal gland, endocrine pancreas, thyroid gland, ovaries, testes;
- know the principles and regulation of bone, calcium and phosphate metabolism, energy balance, glucose metabolism, lipid metabolism, blood pressure;
- know the hormonally regulated metabolic processes (carbohydrates, protein and fat);
- know the most important endocrine diseases and tumors, their development, clinic, diagnostics and therapy;
- know the most important measures for the prevention of metabolic diseases and the underlying mechanisms.
|Content||In this module, students learn about anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology of the endocrine glands, as well as the clinical, diagnostic, therapeutic, and preventive aspects of the most important endocrine diseases. This includes:|
- Systematics of the endocrine system: structure and anatomical location of the various endocrine glands.
- Neuronal innervation and vascular supply area of the endocrine glands.
- Hormone classes: Protein and polypeptide hormones, amino and amino acid derivatives steroid hormones, biosynthesis of protein and polypeptide hormones, biosynthesis of amino and amino acid derivatives, biosynthesis of steroid hormones, storage of hormones, secretion of hormones, transport of hormones, half-lives, degradation and excretion of hormones.
- Transmission of information by hormones: hormone action at receptors, structure and function of membrane-associated hormone receptors, structure and function of nuclear receptors, regulation of hormone secretion.
- Structure and function of the hypothalamus, structure and function of the pituitary gland.
- Structure and function of the thyroid gland, under- and over-functioning of the thyroid gland, principles of diagnostics and therapy of thyroid diseases. Symptoms, medical history and clinical examination of thyroid diseases,
- Bones, calcium and phosphate metabolism.
- Regulation of glucose, lipid and protein metabolism, eating disorders, etiology, diagnostics, therapy and prevention of adpositas.
- Structure and function of endocrine pancreas, pathogenesis of different types of diabetes mellitus. Principles of diagnostics and therapy and prevention of type 1 and type 2 diabetes, risk factors and complications. Symptoms, medical history and clinical examination in diabetes mellitus,
- Structure and function of the adrenal gland, pathogenesis, principles of diagnostics and therapy of diseases with hyper- and hypofunction of the adrenal gland. Symptoms, anamnesis and clinical examination in case of hyper- and hypofunction of the adrenal gland.
- Structure and function of the ovaries and testis, principles of reproductive physiology.
|Lecture notes||There is no traditional script for this course. Instead the course is supported by a Moodle page through which students have access to all necessary texts, exercises, videos and activities.|
|Literature||The essential course material will be available on the course's Moodle Page in the form of scripts and lesson handouts. |
The course does not have an "official" textbook, but students may find a general reference book on the topic interesting. For this purpose the text "Endokrinologie und Stoffwechsel” von Stefan Fischli und Giatgen A. Spinas (Herausgeber), Thieme Verlag, may be helpful.
|Prerequisites / Notice||The course builds on the content of the "Chemie für Mediziner", "Biochemie", “Pathobiochemie”, "Pharmakologie für Mediziner" and "Molekulare Genetik und Zellbiologie" course and “Nutrition and Digestion”.|