Tom Crowther: Katalogdaten im Herbstsemester 2021
|Herr Prof. Dr. Tom Crowther
Institut für Integrative Biologie
ETH Zürich, CHN G 66
|Assistenzprofessor (Tenure Track)
|Ecology and Evolution: Term Paper
|T. Städler, J. Alexander, S. Bonhoeffer, T. Crowther, A. Hall, J. Hille Ris Lambers, J. Jokela, J. Payne, G. Velicer, A. Widmer
|Individual writing of an essay-type review paper about a specialized topic in the field of ecology and evolution, based on substantial reading of original literature and discussions with a senior scientist.
|- Students acquire a thorough knowledge on a topic in which they are particularly interested
- They learn to assess the relevance of original literature and synthesize information
- They make the experience of becoming "experts" on a topic and develop their own perspective
- They practise academic writing according to professional standards in English
|Topics for the essays are proposed by the professors and lecturers of the major in Ecology and Evolution at a joint meeting at the beginning of the semester (the date will be communicated by e-mail to registered students).
- choose a topic
- search and read appropriate literature
- develop a personal view on the topic and structure their arguments
- prepare figures and tables to represent ideas or illustrate them with examples
- write a clear, logical and well-structured text
- refine the text and present the paper according to professional standards
In all steps, they will benefit from the advice and detailed feedback given by a senior scientist acting as personal tutor of the student.
|Reading of articles in scientific journals