Ursina Markwalder: Catalogue data in Spring Semester 2021
|Dr. Ursina Markwalder
Professur Algorithmen und Didaktik
ETH Zürich, CAB F 13.1
|Humanities, Social and Political Sciences
|Designing Learning Environments for School: Educational Foundations (EW2 TC)
- Prerequisite: successful participation in 851-0240-00L "Human Learning (EW1)".
- Addresses to students enrolled in "Teaching Certificate in a non-college Discipline (TC)".
- The simultaneous enrolment in course 851-0240-25 Designing Learning Environments for School: Vocational Education (EW2 TC)" is recommended, but not a mandatory prerequisite.
|P. Edelsbrunner, U. Markwalder, E. Stern
|Teaching is also a craft. In this lecture, students get to know and, wherever possible, also practice practical aspects of the teaching profession within the framework of relevant theories rom the Learning Sciences.
|Students acquire basic knowledge and skills needed for planning, preparing, and implementing effective instruction. They can reflect and adapt these skills based on knowledge about findings from research in the learning sciences.
|We discuss characteristics of successful lessons and how to design such lessons by using curricula and lesson plans, teaching goals, classroom management, and a variety of teaching methods.
|The lecture comprises interactive parts where the participants elaborate and extend their knowledge and skills. Thus, there is no comprehensive written documentation of the lecture. The participants can download presentation slides, learning materials, and templates from "Moodle".
|The necessary literature can be downloaded from "Moodle".
|Prerequisites / Notice
|The lecture EW2 can only be attended by students who already successfully completed the lecture Human Learning (EW1).
There will be two independent lectures for different groups of students. You will get further information in an email at the beginning of the semester.
|Coping with Psychosocial Demands of Teaching (EW4)
Enrolment possible with Teaching Diploma matriculation, except for students of Sport Teaching Diploma, who complete the sport-specific course unit EW4.
|P. Greutmann, U. Markwalder, S. Maurer
|In this class, students will learn concepts and skills for coping with psychosocial demands of teaching
|Students possess theoretical knowledge and practical competences to be able to cope with the psychosocial demands of teaching.
(1) They know the basic rules of negotiation and conflict management (e.g., mediation) and can apply them in the school context (e.g., in conversations with parents).
(2) They can apply diverse techniques of classroom management (e.g., prevention of disciplinary problems in the classroom) and know relevant authorities for further information (e.g., legal conditions).
(3) They know stress coping strategies to prevent burnout and are familiar with relevant institutions (e.g., psychosocial support).
- conflict management and mediation
- classroom management
- preventing stress and burnout
Forms of learning
Theoretical foundations will be taught in workshops which contain different means of activation and interaction such as group work, panel discussions, and individual work. Subsequently, this knowledge will be transfered and applied in different school-relevant situations by means of role plays, discussing of cases and video sequences, as well as reflections of practical experiences.
|Verschiedenen Grundlagen- und Anwendungstexte werden den Studierenden zur Verfügung gestellt (Moodle).
|Prerequisites / Notice
|Der erfolgreiche Abschluss von EW1 und EW2 stellt eine wünschenswerte, jedoch nicht obligatorische Voraussetzung dar.