Ben Ellis: Catalogue data in Autumn Semester 2017
|Name||Dr. Ben Ellis|
Inst. für Geochemie und Petrologie
ETH Zürich, NW E 76.2
|Telephone||+41 44 632 99 73|
|651-4229-00L||Advanced Geochronology||3 credits||2G||A. Quadt Wykradt-Hüchtenbruck, H. Busemann, B. Ellis, M. Guillong, A. Liati|
|Objective||The purpose of this lecture is to provide a comprehensive overview of: a) the different radiometric methods in Geology, the different dating tasks and the constraints put by the complexity of natural systems, including dating by cosmogenic nuclides, |
b) the various analytical tools available today for radiometric dating, their advantages and disadvantages,
c) the use of noble gases in Geochemistry and
d) detailed description of case studies, as examples of approach of a number of geological problems and interpretation of the data.
|Content||The content of this lecture is summarised as follows:|
- Ion microprobes - U-Pb SHRIMP dating (zircon, sphene, rutile, monazite)
- Dating metamorphic rocks
- Combined geochronology and petrology – subduction and exhumation rates
- Tracing the timing of mantle and crustal events via zircon-dating in mantle xenoliths: Two case studies: South Namibia, Kilbourne Hole (New Mexico)
- Noble gas geo- and cosmochemistry
- Surface exposure dating with cosmogenic nuclides
- carbon-14 dating and U-Th-He thermochronology
- Visit of the radiogenic and noble gas isotope laboratories of IGMR
Albrecht von Quadt:
- Analytical tools and applications to radiogenic isotopes (basics about TIMS, LA-ICP-MS-MC)
- Dating magmatic rocks and ore deposits (porphyry, epithermal Cu-Au-(Mo) deposits)
- U-Pb, Re-Os, Pb-Pb methods - Hf tracing of zircons
- Geochronology and geochemistry of magmatic systems
- LA-ICP-MS as the method of choice for dating, in comparison to other methods (Ion-probe, TIMS, ...)
- Data reduction in LA-ICP-MS: from measured counts per seconds to the final age of a sample, with hands on example.
- The challenge to date very young Zircons, with an example from Kos.
- Ar-Ar dating techniques
-Ar-Ar dating of volcanic rocks
|Lecture notes||Script (for part of the lecture), partly power point presentations (in the web) and partly copies of power point transparencies.|
|Literature||- Faure, G. and Mensing, T. (2005): Isotopes. Principles and applications. 3rd ed. John Wiley and Sons.|
- Dickin, A. (2005): Radiogenic Isotope Geology. 2nd ed. Cambridge University press.
http://www.elementsmagazine.org/archives/index.html; see February 2013