Edouard Léopold Davin: Katalogdaten im Herbstsemester 2020
|Name||Herr Dr. Edouard Léopold Davin|
|061-0101-00L||Climate / Water / Soil |
Only for Landscape Architecture MSc.
Course languages are English and German.
|2 KP||3G||H. Joos, R. Kretzschmar, R. Weingartner, N. Bluvshtein, E. L. Davin, S. Dötterl, A. Frossard, T. Galí-Izard, R. Knutti, P. U. Lehmann Grunder, T. Peter, S. Schemm, J. Schwaab, C. Steger, H. Wernli|
|Kurzbeschreibung||Lectures, exercises and excursions serve as an introduction to atmospheric sciences, hydrology and soil science. Students gain a broad vision of the cutting edge topics that are being researched and studied at the Department of Environmental Systems Science at ETH, Eawag, WSL a.o. This will be the base for a future dialog between the field of landscape architecture and the field of sciences.|
|Lernziel||Students acquire basic knowledge in atmospheric sciences, hydrology and soil science:|
- Understanding basic chemical and physical processes in the atmosphere that influence weather and climate
- Knowledge of water balance, principles of integral water management and climatic factors in the field of hydrology
- Fundamentals about the classification of soils, soil-forming processes, physical and chemical soil properties, soil biology and ecology, soil degradation and protection
Students develop an understanding of the relevance of these topics in the field of landscape architecture. Temporal and physical scale, research methods, units of measurement, lexicon, modes of representation and critical literature form the framework for the joint discourse. Students will develop a graphic language in order to integrate this knowledge into design.
|Inhalt||The course unit consists of the three courses "Climate", "Water" and "Soil", which are organized in modules.|
Module 1 “Climate”, 14.–18.09.2020
- Atmospheric dynamics: weather conditions, precipitation formation, weather forecast
- Climate physics: past and future changes in global climate and scenarios for Switzerland
- Land-climate dynamics: interaction between the land surface and the climate system
- Hydrology and water cycle: extreme precipitation, influence of climate change on the cryosphere
- Atmospheric chemistry: aerosols, greenhouse gases, air pollution
Module 2 “Water”, 21.–25.09.2020
- Water balance: theoretical fundamentals; water balance; central importance of runoff; blue, green and grey water
- Water as a resource: Switzerland's water resources, water supply, hydropower use
- Water as a hazard and risk: floods, flood protection, urban drainage
- Water protection: qualitative and quantitative water protection, water and landscape
- Water and climate change: basics, situation in Switzerland with focus on the Alpine region
Module 3 “Soil”, 28.09.–2.10.20
- Introduction to soils: definition, function, formation, classification and mapping
- Soil physics: soil texture, soil structure, soil water potentials, hydraulic conductivity
- Soil chemistry and fertility: clay minerals and oxides, cation exange capacity, soil pH, essential plant nutrients
- Soil biology and ecology: soil fauna and microflora, fungi, bacteria, food web, organic matter
- Soil degradation and threats to soil resources: erosion, compactation, sealing, contamination, salinization
- Practical aspects of soil protection
|Skript||Course material will be provided.|
|Literatur||The course material includes a reading list.|
|Voraussetzungen / Besonderes||The courses "Climate", "Water" and "Soil" are organized with the Fundamental Studio I as joint one-week modules. The weekly schedules will be provided with the course materials.|
Module 1 "Climate", 14-18.09.2020
Module 2 "Water", 21-25.09.2020
Module 3 "Soil", 28.09.-2.10.20
- The courses are held in English or German.
- The written session examination covers all three courses "Climate", "Water" and "Soil".
- During the excursions there will be at least one external overnight stay.
|701-1251-00L||Land-Climate Dynamics |
Number of participants limited to 36.
|3 KP||2G||E. L. Davin, R. Padrón Flasher, S. I. Seneviratne|
|Kurzbeschreibung||The purpose of this course is to provide fundamental background on the role of land surface processes (vegetation, soil moisture dynamics, land energy and water balances) in the climate system. The course consists of 2 contact hours per week, including lectures, group projects and computer exercises.|
|Lernziel||The students can understand the role of land processes and associated feedbacks in the climate system.|
|Skript||Powerpoint slides will be made available|
|Voraussetzungen / Besonderes||Prerequisites: Introductory lectures in atmospheric and climate science |
Atmospheric physics -> http://www.vvz.ethz.ch/Vorlesungsverzeichnis/lerneinheitPre.do?lerneinheitId=112225&semkez=2017S&lang=en
Climate systems -> http://www.vvz.ethz.ch/Vorlesungsverzeichnis/lerneinheitPre.do?lerneinheitId=112972&semkez=2017S&lang=en