Henner Busemann: Katalogdaten im Frühjahrssemester 2021
|Herr Prof. Dr. Henner Busemann
Inst. für Geochemie und Petrologie
ETH Zürich, NW C 84
|+41 44 633 82 28
|+41 44 632 11 79
|Topics in Planetary Sciences
|H. Busemann, A. Rozel, M. Schönbächler, P. Tackley
|The course is based on reading and understanding research papers. Topics vary and cover e.g. planetary geophysics, geochemistry and dynamics including new results from space missions or models of the dynamical evolution of planetary bodies as well as planet and solar system formation.
Each selected research paper is presented by a student, who then also leads an open discussion on the topic.
|The goal of the course is to discuss topics in planetary sciences in-depth, which were not covered in the general planetary science courses. The course particularly aims at training the student's ability to critically evaluate research papers, to summarize the findings concisely in an oral presentation, to discuss the science in a group and give constructive feedback on presentations.
The course should enable the students to better understand the presented research, even if not in their fields of expertise and to convey scientific results to students with a distinct study direction (geology, geochemistry or geophysics).
|Topics, relevant papers selected typically from the recent literature by the lecturers, will vary. Suggestions from students are welcome, but have to be discussed with a lecturer before the topics are listed and distributed. Special introductions are given to discuss good presentation practise.
Topics could include, e.g.:
- Formation of the solar system and the terrestrial planets
- Evolution of terrestrial bodies (Mercury, Venus, Moon, Mars, Vesta and the other asteroids)
- Active asteroids/main-belt comets, icy moons (Ganymede, Callisto, Enceladus), comets and the outer solar system
- Geophysical, geomorphologic and geochemical exploration of planetary bodies (e.g., remote sensing, meteorite studies, seismology, modelling)
- exoplanets and transiting bodies from outside the solar system
|Voraussetzungen / Besonderes
|The students are expected to have passed either course 651-4010-00L Planetary Physics and Chemistry or course 651-4227-00L Planetary Geochemistry.